Tuesday, September 10, 2013

More on My Brown Doll and Friends


I dusted the dolls on the office credenza and repositioned some to another area in the doll room to make room for Betty, my 1950s Pedigree Saucy Walker that was first introduced here.  I had to move several dolls in order to display Betty with similar dolls.

Betty is joined by two Saucy Walker types and a Roddy walker.  Looking on in the background are a 25-inch hard plastic Rita walker and a 27-inch hard plastic and composition mama doll whose arm was repaired recently.
In the photograph above, Betty is flanked by two Saucy Walker types made during the same time she was made.  They, however, were made in America, while Betty was made in England by Pedigree. Below is a close-up of Betty and the two Saucy Walker types.

I like Betty's coloring the best and her flirty eyes add to her appeal.


The American-made Saucy Walker types stand 22-1/2 and 22-inches.  They are both unmarked and were probably copycats of Ideal's 1950s Saucy Walker. I have not been able to document an authentic black Saucy Walker by Ideal.  So I applaud the manufacturers who took the initiative to make the black copycats I own.

The smallest doll in the first picture is a 13-inch Roddy walker, also made in England.  Her facial features are similar to Betty's and the doll in the green dress.  When her legs are moved in a walking motion, her suspended head turns from side to side.  A slight gap between her head and neck is designed to prevent the side-to-side head movement from rubbing against her neck.  I thought this was a flaw when I received the doll in May of 2009, but after investigating, I discovered this is actually how Roddy walkers were made. 

Front and center in red shoes is a head-turning walker by Rosebud.

While repositioning the dolls, I found another head-turning walker that I wanted to display with Betty and friends.  She is 17-inches, marked Made in England, has jointed knees, and her sleep eyes are either green or blue.  It's difficult to determine their true color.  She has been rewigged.  The seller described her as being made by Rosebud and said she appears in Frances Beard's book on hard plastic dolls.

Betty and her new friends described above are made of hard plastic which was widely used in the 1950s and eventually phased out here in America during the 1960s.

Where is Betty?

After photographing Betty with her similar friends, other vintage and modern dolls made from various materials were placed back on the credenza as illustrated in the final picture.  (They are all probably thrilled that Betty arrived because now they are dust free.) 


dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

Please visit and "Like" The Doll Blogs: When Dolls Speak I Listen

5 comments:

  1. They look so clean. LOL. I think Betty's smile has gotten wider since being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vanessa!

    Betty can't stop her beaming smile.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I have just discovered your blog and haven't gone through all your posts (and dolls). Sucha great collection!
    However, there is one doll I find really cute and it seems you are missing her- its Flora flora Missy Milly line. This is simple playline doll, small and rather cheaply dressed, but- that face! Isnt it lovely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by MajorMistakes. I am not familiar with Flora. Please direct me to a picture.

      I visited your doll blog and did see some interesting faces.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. They look like they are all going on a field trip and are going to have their photo taken afterward.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!