Friday, July 1, 2016

Curvy #39 Emoji Fun Finally Here! (Revised)


I waited over a month for ShopMattel dot com to ship Curvy #39 Emoji Fun Barbie Fashionista, which was part of a two-doll order placed by my son. I had requested this doll and the #33 tall redhead for my birthday when he asked, "What do you want for your birthday?" Tall arrived as scheduled and Emoji Fun finally showed up this past Wednesday.  I am still unable to understand Mattel's order fulfillment practices. While this doll was on preorder and backorder at ShopMattel, quantities were available and shipping on Amazon dot com.  What's up with that, Mattel?

I was happy to see her shipping box and her actual packaging inside, which was dinged in back, but I did not care as my plan was to immediately debox her, and I did.

In this photo, Curvy is still attached to the box liner with cellophane removed and discarded.
Before her arrival, I was expecting my doll's hair to be as straight as it is and not curly like the prototype's.  (See image of back of  box below, which includes an image of the advertised doll.)  Prior to receiving my doll, all other images of actual dolls I had seen had straight hair.  I have learned, however, that some dolls were released with curly hair.  Fellow doll enthusiast, Jewell, has shared images of her curly haired #39 in a blog post that can be read here.

I like her original outfit minus the jacket.  The pink shoes and pink clutch had to go, too. After removing the jacket, which felt as though it was stuck to the dress in front, I noticed a dark stain on the yellow bodice. (Sigh) Is my doll lactating or something?  I successfully removed this by wetting the area, applying a few granules of OxiClean and a drop or two of  hydrogen peroxide and rubbing the area with my finger until it faded.

This scan of #39's dress illustrates a smudge on the bodice.
With the arrival dress removed, Curvy tried on her two extra fashions:

The pink shoes and clutch work better with the pink striped top and "denim" skirt.

An extra shimmery blue dress, which she models with the black booties and red handbag accessories, shown below, was tried on next.  After her glasses were placed on her head for this photo, I noticed a small indentation in her right cheek from the pressure of the frames.

These are her extra black booties and red purse, which #39 chose to wear with the blue dress (above) and also with the yellow and black dress (see next photo).
Initially, I thought Curvy had the same head sculpt as Fashionista #20 (Fancy Flowers, whose name is now Coffey).  These two only share the same complexion and hair color (see next photo).
#39 poses with Coffey (Fancy Flowers), who is long overdue for a redress, long overdue!  These two share the same complexion and hair color.
#39 and her thin, light-skinned twin #6 ("Romper Chic")
Curvy and the auburn haired "Romper Chic," share the same head sculpt.  Thanks Ms. Leo for pointing this out to me.  I look forward to reading Ms. Leo's review of her #39.




The above photo of the back of #39's box shows a head shot and full view images of the prototype doll wearing the two extra fashions.  Note the curly hair.  Fashionistas Numbers 35, 38, 40, and 43 are also shown on the back of #39's box.

With Tall, Curvy #32 and now Emoji Fun, there aren't any others in the current line that I desire.
If these Curvy girls were articulated, they would be perfect!  Good news! We won't have to wait too long for articulated curvy dolls, based on photos I've browsed in the Barbie Instagram account. Below are links to three that included articulated curvy dolls:

Barbie Instagram Links
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFb4zBKQ4pV/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFt9eWAw4jd/?taken-by=barbiestyle&hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFooWVcQ4so/?taken-by=barbiestyle&hl=en
View all here.



dbg
Check out my eBay listings here.

27 comments:

  1. Curvy and articulated! Ah, living the dream :D
    Thanks for sharing pictures of your own dolls and of those new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to see that you have finally received your Emoji fun Curvy barbie doll. She sure looks pretty good without her jacket but also in the denim skirt and pink tee-shirt.
    I am sure you will find her more outfits.
    Articulated curvy Barbie doll? Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arlette. I enjoyed an afternoon of play with her. Clean up is never fun (putting things in their perspective places after play).

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Congrats on finally getting her in hand. I was waiting for this post. I, too, am confused by Mattel's order fulfillment process. I don't get the hair differences either. My Emoji Fun arrived with hair EXACTLY like her promo images. Pictures are on my blog. I dipped her curls in boiling hot water to loosen them, and they're still quite curly. I remember the blonde Nikki Fashionistas having widely different hairstyles, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Jewell, I have only seen photos of the straight-haired version. I'll have to scoot on over to your blog and view the curly haired version.

      I remember the two versions of blonde Nikki. I have the straighter haired version, but wanted the curly haired version.

      Thanks for letting me know. I think I'll have to revise this post and link to yours as soon as time permits.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. Congrats! I got mine yesterday! I thought she had the same head sculpt as Romper Chic! I noticed the difference when I put them side by side. Then I got out RC. Same face different complexion. The both have that same wide face without the upturned nose! But knowing Mattel, yours might be different from mine!LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Ms. Leo. Mine definitely does not have the same face as Romper Chic. RC's smile is wider than my doll's. Since some of the dolls were released with curly hair and some straight, there's no telling what Mattel has done.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. Ms. Leo... I just took another look. I think you are right. Curvy #39 shares the same face as RC and the same complexion as Fancy Flowers.

      I thought I was good at recognizing head sculpts, but you have me beat!

      dbg

      Delete
  5. Congrats! I had her ordered from Mattel for quite a while, but then, a little over a week ago, I say her at Target and grabbed her! I cancelled the Mattel order. Mine has the straighter hair as well. I also don't understand Mattel and their order processing either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phyllis. I know others who also cancelled their ShopMattel orders after finding the doll elsewhere. I probably would have done the same thing too had I ordered the doll myself.

      dbg

      Delete
  6. Congrats on having her home! I love that they're adding outfits for all these new sizes - that's great to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you jSarie! The extra outfits are greatly appreciated here.

      dbg

      Delete
  7. Maybe she is experiencing the extra hot and humid weather like we are, and her curls fell. LOL. Glad she finally arrived. Her outfits look cute on her. It was nice to see her with her glasses off. I REALLY like her face sculpt and will now consider adding her. She may not stay curvy if I do, because she might get rebodied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The extra hot and humid weather could be the culprit for her loss of curls, Vanessa. :-) Those glasses will remain off unless I remove the rubber bands that had them too tight on her face. Her little facial blemish is still there from the frames pressing against it. Poor thing looks like she has a healed over cut.

      Maybe one of the articulated curvy dolls shown in Barbie's Instagram account (to be released later) will interest you more unless you just like this one's complexion and head sculpt.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. I didn't realize articulated curvy bodies were in the works. Good to know. I will keep her curvy if I can, although I already have a regular body that might work with that complexion. We will see.

      Delete
    3. Click on the 1st two Barbie Instagram links that I included at the end of the post to see the articulated Curvy dolls featured in those images. They have a lighter complexion, but hopefully they will also add one with #39's complexion too.

      dbg

      Delete
    4. I hope Mattel is not just teasing us with the Curvy articulated bodies on their Instagram account. If you look at the video they did introducing the first wave of the new Fashionistas, they were all articulated, but we have never seen any of them articulated. I only hope Mattel follow thru. I would also not mind it if they gave us some of the fashions you see on the Instagram account!

      Delete
    5. Oh Phyllis! I too hope they are not teasing us. That would be awful if that is the case. I did wonder how some of the floor sitters in the denim group photo were able to be positioned that way. Their poses look too natural for even the Made to Move Barbie articulation.

      I guess we will just have to wait and see.

      I really like several of the fashions shown.

      dbg

      Delete
  8. I agree with all the comments. I hope these dolls are on the way. I remember seeing that picture on their Instagram and was wondering were they going to be the next wave. I hope they are teasing us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too hope they are not teasing us, Brini. What would be the point?

      dbg

      Delete
  9. Thank you for this thorough review, Debbie! Mine has arrived also, and I had a good time on Saturday trying clothes on both of my curvy dolls. I really hope to see some articulated curvy dolls in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Roxanne. I enjoyed your review as well and seeing so many clothing alternatives for the curvy Barbies. Thanks for taking the time to share your doll play with us.

      dbg

      Delete
  10. Somehow I think they are teasing us! There is the made to move yellow and now orange top. It is rare to get a dark complexion doll outside of an all black Mattel doll group. I am still waiting for an articulated body the color of Princess of South Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Articulated curvy Barbies? I can't wait! I might wait until they arrive before I get new dolls. Thanks for sharing the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not confirmed, Tiffany, only assumed based on images of articulated bodies used in Instagram photos.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!