Monday, March 13, 2017

Dyeing to be Black Part 4 - Some Finishing Touches



As mentioned in a previous post in this series, 35th Anniversary Barbie's body did not absorb the dye as well as her face, arms, and legs absorbed it.  Not wanting to use paint for the body, I tried coloring it using a brown colored pencil and was pleased with the result.

Half of Barbie's chest has been shaded in with the colored pencil.

With the pencil, the body has been completely colorized.

Full view of the colored body.

Her face imperfections were remedied by creating two moles or beauty marks in those areas.  I used black acrylic paint to dot these areas with the tip of a paint-dipped toothpick.  To mask the "hyperpigmentation" on her chest, areolas with nipples were painted as shown in the photo taken with Joe below (photo was taken before the black painted areas of his shirt were sealed).

Barbie poses with Joe after his joints and feet were painted and sealed.  The completed, but undressed, Adam and Twistee Totsy are also shown.
Barbie's wrist tag and signature, black and white bathing suit are back on.  Her shoes are still attached to the box liner.


Dressed in a pair of cargo khaki's and tan sneakers, work on Joe is complete.
Twistee Totsy is enjoying her completion as well.

Twistee Totsy's two original ribbons, which had been on two small side ponytails, are now wrapped around her single, pulled-back ponytail.

Adam's finishing touches are revealed in part 5.



dbg
Follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black
Check out my eBay listings here.

10 comments:

  1. They look very good :D
    Did you seal the penciling you did on Barbie, like you did for Joe?
    Wearing blue really suits the Totsy doll.
    Thank-you for your tips.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sealing was done to Barbie. I tried to smudge it, unsuccessfully, to give the colored area a smooth appearance. I like the somewhat wood-grained appearance.

      I agree, the blue swimsuit complements Totsy's new skin tone.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Very nice results on all of them! What a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The results using the pencil are amazing! Great job Debbie!! I am going to try it one day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, G.G. I'm thinking about reworking 35th Anniversary Barbie to enhance her results. If I do, I will post a followup.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. I really like how the Twistee Totsy turned out. Nice work on all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roxanne. Initially (before the other three clones were dressed), Totsy was my favorite.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. I like Joe and Adam best. I think the dye job worked really well on them.

    (Not much into the ponytail Barbie days, the early and mid 60s.)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!