Friday, September 29, 2017

Addy Walker's American Girl Hospital Visit

Addy suffered from silver eye disease in her left eye caused by the inner eye decal detaching from the eye.

During my American Girl Addy's participation in the First Annual Addy Hair Show in early August, I discovered she suffered from silver eye disease.  Addy's eye was given a temporary fix using a brown Sharpie marker to color over the exposed silver area. Blog reader, Greytone, shared her experience of sending her silver eye-diseased doll to the American Girl Hospital where it was repaired free of charge because this is a manufacturer's flaw.

Faced with the dilemma of whether or not to send my doll in for eye replacement or not (because I wanted her wig replaced as well, but only if AG could replace it with the same texture as the original wig), I contacted AG by email to see how they would handle this.  My email was not answered promptly, so I called and was told to go to the AG website and download the hospital admission form.  I did this but there were only two options that met my needs:  a new head, which in Addy's case would probably mean the hair texture would be different, or new eyes only.  My initial email inquiry was eventually answered as follows:

Dear Ms. Garrett,
We are sorry to learn that your Addy doll is in need of repair.
Regretfully, our Doll Hospital staff is unable to replace just the wigs  To ensure the wig will not come off, our doll manufacturer applies permanent glue.  To remove the wig would be very difficult and could result in damaging the doll's head.  If there is a problem with the hair, the entire head must be replaced. A head replacement includes a new set of eyes as well.
 The cost for a head replacement is $44.00 plus $7.95 for the return shipping and processing, and sales tax where applicable.  Included with the repair service, at no additional cost to you, is a Wellness Visit valued at $28.00.  Addy's skin will be cleaned, and she will return home in a hospital gown along with other special items.
 Information about our Doll Hospital, including a link to the Admission Form, can be found on our website.  Please click on the link below and scroll down to "How to admit an American Girl doll."
 http://www.americangirl.com/shop/doll-hospital We suggest that you ship your doll via UPS, FedEx, or insured mail.  Please allow 2 to 3 weeks for repairs, depending on volume.
 Should you require additional information, please call us at the toll-free number listed below.  One of our associates will be happy to assist you.


Sincerely,
American Girl Customer Service 

After deciding I would get the eyes replaced only, I wrote back to inquire if I would be charged for this since this is a manufacturer's flaw.  Their reply was, "If, after examining your doll, the doctors conclude that this eye problem is a company-based issue, your doll will be fully repaired free of charge."

Addy was undressed and her hair ribbons and barrettes were removed to prepare her for a trip to the American Girl Doll Hospital.
I filled out the admission form requesting new eyes with a comment requesting a charge adjustment if it was determined the eye condition was a company-based issue.  Addy was next boxed up along with the admission form, and shipped to the hospital by insured mail on August 21, 2017.

Bubble wrapped and boxed up, Addy was ready for her trip to the American Girl Doll Hospital in Middleton, Wisconsin.

Undoubtedly, there are thousands of American Girl doll patients because Addy was not officially admitted until September 13, 2017, which is the date American Girl sent an email notification with the subject line, "Your American Girl Doll Has Been Admitted."

Addy's hospital admission receipt is shown above.


After being admitted, the little patient must have received immediate attention.  She was treated and discharged within 48 hours or less because she arrived back home on September 20, 2017.

Addy was returned in a white doll box, the side of which contains instructions to 
"Care for Your Doll."

Addy remained in the return box until I was able to take out-of-box photos.
Close-up of Addy's new eyes in a photo taken after I removed the bangs I had given her several years ago.
In addition to new eyes, courtesy of American Girl, Addy's skin was cleaned and her hair brushed and restyled in a French braid.

Addy's French braid courtesy of American Girl

As seen in the first photo of this post, several years ago I had given Addy bangs using added hair cut from a curly doll wig.  A strand of  her bangs fell off at the hospital, which Dr. D. enclosed in a tiny zippered baggie and placed inside Addy's return box.  After she returned home, I removed the rest of her bangs and the residual glue.  Soon, I plan to do something special to her wig which will be shared in a followup post.


In addition to the bagged strand of hair (which now contains all of Addy's former bangs), Addy returned with a Certificate of Good Health and a "Get Well Soon" card from the folks at American Girl.

Addy's hospital gown is a white cotton print with pink flowers, butterflies, and bandages.
The American Girl Hospital logo is on the front of the gown.

Addy's ID bracelet reads:  American Girl Doll Hospital.

A heart accents the sides of her white socks.

With all the attention Addy Walker received during her hospital stay, she refused to take off her hospital gown, hospital ID bracelet, and warm socks  She thinks the pampering should continue here, so I have decided to allow her to feel like a patient a bit longer, at least until her wig restyling is completed.

Thank you again blog reader, Greytone, for sharing your experience with the American Girl Doll Hospital.  Had you not done so, and had Julius not also commented about the eye condition being a manufacturer's flaw covered by AG, Addy would still be suffering from silver eye disease masked by brown Sharpie ink.

Thank you also to Cathy Runnels, administrator of the American Girl Addy Collectors Facebook group, for organizing the First Annual Addy Hair Show and for allowing me to share the photo video of the Addy participants, which can be viewed below.



 dbg
Follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black
Check out my eBay listings here.

16 comments:

  1. Addy looks very cute in her hospital gown :-). Her eyes look so much better now. The original wig texture is lovely, it's one of the features that I like so much about Addy. The hair-dos in the video are all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MillicentAndFriends! I think Addy looks cute in the hospital gown too, which is one reason I didn't "try to convince her to get dressed in her own clothes." :-) She looks so much better with eyes that are the same color. The ladies in the group did a fabulous job styling their dolls' hair.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Debbie.. It was fun reading about Addy's trip to the hospital. I'm so happy she was discharged within 48 hours... Addy is so cute in her hospital gown and I love all the little extras like the ID braclet and socks. The French braid is def a way many of us have pulled our hair back while in the hospital .. I can't wait to see what you do with her hair next I know its going to be very special!! Welcome home Addy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doll Party. As soon as I get some free time, I am going to "hook" Addy's hair up. I hope I can do what I have planned.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, onlyalisa! I want to see pictures of your Addy after she is discharged and returned.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. I was sooo excited to finally see the results of your interaction with Addy's visit to the hospital, and grinned at your pleasure with the little touches the company took to make her hospital stay memorable and pleasant. I am sorry you didn't get the treat of having one problem taken care of because of the other. I had a feeling my doll received the last original hair head available, and I anxiously waited to see the result of your conversations with them. I am glad to hear they are still treating their customers well, and I am more than pleased to be able to help another doll lover costing only the postage to get her to the hospital workers. Thank you for posting the video of the hairstyle challenge! It solidified my foothold on feeling totally inadequate in the hairstyle department, but it provided so many pretty styles to copy, no one but you and I will know! lol
    Always following your blog...
    Cynthia (greytone)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cynthia,

      Addy and I are quite pleased with her hospital experience. I wish she could have gotten a new wig of the original texture, but I wasn't willing to sacrifice the original doll's head in order to have that done. I am hopeful that what I have planned for her hair will work. If not, I will solicit the assistance of my daughter. I know she can achieve what is only bouncing around in my head.

      The video does offer several lovely ways to style Addy's hair. Feel free to experiment with some of the styles. You might just surprise yourself.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. Addy looks gorgeous!! I'm so glad I played a teeny part in her restoration!! I've always wanted to learn how to French braid. I love how much care AG takes with their dolls, and the whole hospital admission process is just lovely. I especially love all the details, the certificate, the gown, the socks...just awesome. But yes, get Addy out of patient mode quick smart, they say that hospital stays can effect people a bit if they don't back into their usual day to day routines pretty darn fast. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Julius. I think your echo gave me the nudge I needed to "just do it" and have her admitted. I was hesitant at first, not knowing what the outcome would be. So glad I went through with the process. I will get her out of patient mode soon. :-) Was hoping to do that this weekend, but it may be next week before I am able to devote the time required to restyle her hair as I have planned.

      dbg

      Delete
  6. Thanks for telling us about your Addy's experience with the AG hospital. I'm very impressed with the care she got. She has pretty eyes again, although I must say your Sharpie trick was working because I don't remember thinking there was an issue with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maricha! Addy's hospital stay was quite uneventful with a positive outcome.

      dbg

      Delete
  7. It makes me feel good to know that even nowadays, some companies know how to fulfill promises to customers in the way we hope they will be done...did you end up having to pay for her eye replacement? I didn't see it addressed above. If you did have to, they certainly did a fine job. And if you didn't...amazing and delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eklectic1,

      My out-of-pocket expense for Addy's eye repair only involved the shipping and insurance paid for her trip to the hospital. As I wrote in the post, "In addition to new eyes, courtesy of American Girl, Addy's skin was cleaned and her hair brushed and restyled in a French braid."

      The "courtesy of American Girl," was meant to express that the eyes were replaced free of charge. I remain very grateful for it.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!