Wednesday, October 4, 2017

A Quick Redress: Nighttime Glamour and ZiZi


The Barbie Look Nighttime Glamour Barbie checks out a new lavender dress, hoping she can wear it.

Several weeks ago The Barbie Look Curvy Nighttime Glamour Barbie (shown above in her original clothes) and ZiZi (Zig and Zag) were redressed.  In ZiZi's case, she was re-redressed.  The lavender dress Nighttime is admiring is what inspired the ensemble changes.  As indicated on the package with check marks underneath the illustrated Barbie body types, this dress is cut to fit all currently marketed Barbies.  I wanted to see for myself.  I was surprised with the outcome.


Nighttime was the first to try it on.  While she seemed pretty happy with the dress (the fit is fine), I do not think it "does anything for her."  It is somewhat matronly looking in my opinion, which may be due to the length.  I tried tucking the hemline under to see if that would help, but it did not add the flair she craves or that I crave for her.


Next, ZiZi tried it on.  While it looks a little better on ZiZi (in this photo the hemline is tucked under), it's just not her style -- too conservative.  With it she wears a pair of flat white T-straps that were part of the original outfit worn by Goddess Emerald (named by me), a Barbie Fashionista from 2014, first seen here.

ZiZi looks a bit surprised.  Trying on the lavender dress and returning to the tan and animal-print ensemble she had been wearing was all she had planned to do, but now it seems her friend has confiscated her clothes.
While ZiZi was trying on the lavender dress, Nighttime (Natalie... I just named her) put on what ZiZi had been wearing.  It fits her to a T.  The tan dress with animal-print jacket was made by an eBay seller who uses a hot glue gun in lieu of sewing.  She uses knit fabrics which can stretch and conform to a doll's figure, which is why the curvy Barbies can wear this style, even though it was made for ModelMuse and other slimmer Barbie body types.

Feeling a little dismayed because ZiZi does not care for the lavender dress and definitely does not like it at the designed length, which is shown in the photo immediately above, ZiZi decided to try on Natalie's original dress.  "Two can play this fashion swap game, " she thought.


We all love this dress on ZiZi, which she continues wearing the white T-straps.  I am thinking about  shortening the sleeve length from full sleeves to short sleeves (but not sleeveless).


Natalie complimented ZiZi on how cute she looks in the brocade dress by saying, "Girl, the gold in this dress really compliments your hair color.  It's so you!"  ZiZi thanked her and told her she understood why she confisc.. decided to continue wearing the tan dress.  "It shows off your curves as well as it does mine," she said.  There is no love lost between these two.

A unanimous decision was made to place the lavender dress back into the original package and stored it for now.


dbg
Thank you for reading. Was this post helpful?
Follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black
View the Doll Events page for updates. Check out my eBay listings here.

9 comments:

  1. The Nighttime dress is perfect for ZiZi! It goes very well with her hair and make-up. Natalie is beautiful in her new outfit. I have the Nighttime doll too, and didn't like the brocade dress on her very much. Someone on Flickr shortened the sleeves, and it looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MillicentAndFriends -- I am seriously thinking about shortening the sleeves. I have seen it sleeveless and with a plunging neckline. I don't want to go as drastic as that, but I do want the sleeves shortened, particularly since ZiZi is wearing it with sandals. :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  2. I put that lavender dress on a tall girl with big hair. Maybe you could give that a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking of that. It might look good on a tall lanky body.

      Delete
    2. I'll try that on my redhead, RagingMoon. Thanks for the suggestion.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. ZiZi and Natalie looks great redressed! I have contemplated as to whether or not to purchase the purple dress. I think I like it better shorter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The purple would look better shorter. I think just a snip of the lower two layers would do the trick, GG. I might try that.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. I have a version of the violet dress in red...and it went the way of yours...in a drawer of discarded Barbie fashions. Just not an appealing design at all. Perhaps an off the clock Disney Princess might appreciate it?! I often find a conservative style of dress on a funky doll like ZiZi can definitely lend the look a much needed edge (as she does here). Good styling all round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mid calf length just doesn't work very well. Off-the-clock Disney princess (LOL!). As I wrote in my comment to Georgia Girl, I might snip off the two bottom layers and give it another try if Fab Fringe isn't interested in wearing it at the current length (and I don't think she will be). She's still loving her current attire of Black Dolls Matter T-shirt and handmade skirt.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!